As outlined by Alberta Education
A leader nurtures and sustains a culture that supports evidence-informed teaching and learning.
Achievement of this competency is demonstrated by indicators such as:
(a) fostering in the school community equality and respect with regard to rights as provided for in the Alberta Human Rights Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms;
(b) creating an inclusive learning environment in which diversity is embraced, a sense of belonging is emphasized, and all students and staff are welcomed, cared for, respected, and safe;
(c) developing a shared responsibility for the success of all students;
(d) cultivating a culture of high expectations for all students and staff;
(e) creating meaningful, collaborative learning opportunities for teachers and support staff;
(f) establishing opportunities and expectations for the positive involvement of parents/guardians in supporting student learning;
(g) creating an environment for the safe and ethical use of technology;
(h) collaborating with community service agencies to provide wrap-around supports for all students who may require them, including those with mental health needs; and
(i) recognizing student and staff accomplishment
From prior, “Principal Quality Standard”
a) promotes and models life-long learning for students, teachers and other staff
- I read, read and read professional resources. I like to share quotes or parts of what I have read with teachers and other staff when it is appropriate.
- In classrooms and in conversation with students I speak about the fact that I attempt each day to learn something new.
- Students and staff know that I am currently taking graduate courses. I share my experiences of learning.
- I encourage teachers to attend PD that is meaningful and relates to their goals and support these teachers as needed.
- This school year I have attended:
- the VRTA training (4 days)
- “When Kids Can’t Read” PD with Kylene Beers and Robert Probst. I took one of the strategies I learned and used it to introduce my staff to our KSA Learning during our next PLC at our staff meeting.
- I am registered to attend a PD session in August with John Hattie.
b) fosters a culture of high expectations for students, teachers and other staff
- Academic expectations are clearly articulated in many ways in our school. From teacher’s long range and unit plans to the student’s having a solid understanding of the outcome or daily learning expected.
- Behaviour expectations are clearly outlined at the beginning of the year and then through out the year in a variety of ways. I have re-vised the staff handbook and student agenda several times. I keep a copy on my desk that I make any notes, changes or additions to through the year.
c) promotes and facilitates meaningful professional development for teachers and other staff
- At the beginning of each school year, as a staff, we analyze our school data and district goals to determine a professional development focus. By collaborating to create goals, we all have ownership in the process.
- I work with a group of teachers to carry out our School Based Professional Development Days.
d) facilitates meaningful parental involvement and ensures they are informed about their child’s learning and development.
- An area of continual reflection for myself. The relationship between school and home is critical. I am constantly seeking out ways to communicate with our parents and families.
- The teachers at the school keep parents informed through monthly newsletters or web-sites. I receive a copy of their updates as well.
- I read through each student’s report card, I am available during Parent Teacher Interviews and I monitor student progress through conversations with teachers.
- We have implemented Family Fun Nights at the school. Our School Council plans many events through the year. These have included: Meet the Staff Bar-B-Q, Halloween Family Dance, Family Movie Night, Christmas Activity night and Spring Family Dance.
- We communicate through our monthly newsletter and school web-site.
Blog posts linked to Leading a Learning Community